Environmental & Natural Resources What's your favorite part of mapping the environment and natural resources?

pokateo

gO Member
gO Enthusiast
Founding Member
May 4, 2018
Michigan, USA
kateberg.github.io
Hi everyone! What's your favorite thing about working in the environmental and natural resources fields? I have always been most interested in the natural world, so mapping it is the most interesting thing to map to me. I love looking at maps of animal migration paths; how neat is that?! I wish there was more datasets available on populations of different animal species. Anybody know of any?

Reactions: GeoZombie

Philip

geospatial Online
Staff Member
Founding Member
I wish I worked more with our Natural Resource folks. I know that they have GIS data for endangered species, bird nesting spots, track information for deer & turkeys, etc.

I'm not a hunter, but I bet a hunter would love migration information on maps.

Your comment about animal migration paths intrigues me...it made me wonder. I'm sure they are out there, but I wonder if anyone has made some decent temporal maps of when and where dinosaurs lived. I guess this would go back into paleontological forums, though. ?

Reactions: pokateo

member 561

I recently attended the Esri UK Annual Conference and there was an excellent talk on mapping the Great Crested Newt (an endangered species here in the UK). I haven't really done much environmental mapping but I'd love to delve into it more.

John Nelson posted a really cool migration map in the form of a story map; well worth checking out.

Reactions: pokateo and Philip