What's new
  • Website updates are nearly complete. Many of the forums have been changed and threads have been moved. No threads were deleted. This is an attempt to simplify these forums. Sorry for the trouble.

Fictional/Imaginary The future of GIS?

Philip

geospatial Online
Staff Member
gO Business
Business Rep
Founding Member
I love this map overlay from the Overwatch Bastian short! It gets me excited thinking that we are so close to having this tech super accessible.
I agree with you. I think that augmented reality/mixed reality has huge potential for the industry. I wish I knew more to get involved in the XR industry. (XR is a new term becoming used to include VR, AR, & MR.)

OP
pokateo

pokateo

gO Member
Founding Member
I agree with you. I think that augmented reality/mixed reality has huge potential for the industry. I wish I knew more to get involved in the XR industry. (XR is a new term becoming used to include VR, AR, & MR.)
I hadn't heard of "XR". You learn something new everyday.

I've been playing Skyrim VR a lot and the map is pretty cool. It's like PC Skyrim (you're floating over it) but you can appreciate the topography so much more in VR!

Mike

gO Newbie
The only VR stuff I have played with is on my friend's phone. I think it was a Samsung with the headset.

Philip

geospatial Online
Staff Member
gO Business
Business Rep
Founding Member
The only VR stuff I have played with is on my friend's phone. I think it was a Samsung with the headset.
That's what I have. I have a Samsung S8 with the Gear VR headset. I got it when I preordered the phone. Its awesome.

fpparker

gO Member
Founding Member
I've been watching this carefully. Indiana rural water had some success with VR and AR. I love the idea that you'd be able to see the utilies live under-ground, because when you're working with people from multiple backgrounds you can't expect the consumer to know how to read a utility plan. However, 3D models can offer that clarification for them to be able to say look here, you see how if we plan this pipe going into your building, that we have to dig around this, this, and that... More and more with photogrammetry and laser scanning we will continue to see these things grow.

Here's to more AR and VR in GIS.

Terah153

gO Newbie
I've been watching this carefully. Indiana rural water had some success with VR and AR. I love the idea that you'd be able to see the utilies live under-ground, because when you're working with people from multiple backgrounds you can't expect the consumer to know how to read a utility plan. However, 3D models can offer that clarification for them to be able to say look here, you see how if we plan this pipe going into your building, that we have to dig around this, this, and that... More and more with photogrammetry and laser scanning we will continue to see these things grow.

Here's to more AR and VR in GIS.

The next step is to merge Augmented Reality to Time Geography. This can be a game changer for AR in my opinion from change detection, to discovering trend.

< Previous | Next >