What's new

Hello new user (Steven Seegel), new geography book (Map Men)

steven_seegel

gO Newbie
Greetings all,

I just joined the group and am grateful to Philip for the initiative and his help on how to join the forum.

I'm a professor of Russian and European history at the University of Northern Colorado, and I spend my time between Denver and San Diego. When I'm not teaching or traveling, I'm the author of three recent books (in 2012, 2013, and 2018) on the history of East European geography and cartography. I devoted many years (the better part of the 2000s decade) to poring through Russian, Ukrainian, and other C/E European maps -- in Kiev, St. Petersburg and Moscow, for instance -- secret and military-topographical maps that are stored in libraries and archives.

By my professional training, I am a historian and historical geographer. In the US, I read and attend workshops in GIS and ESRI whenever I can. It's hard to keep up on everything!

My latest book, "Map Men: Transnational Lives and Deaths of Geographers in the Making of East Central Europe," just came out in June 2018 with University of Chicago Press. The press does excellent work! They published a new (third) edition of Mark Monmonier's classic *How to Lie with Maps,* and the John Davies & Alexander Kent book *Red Atlas* (2017), on Soviet/Russian secret mapping projects. Truly fascinating stuff.

For anyone interested in my work, E-Books of MAP MEN are now available starting as low as 10 dollars. You can use my 20% discount directly from the press (UCPNTN or UCPNEW), if you're interested. That cuts it down to 8 dollars! ... (Please pardon the bad salesmanship, but at least the math is correct.)
http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/M/bo27760776.html

my profile on ACADEMIA (it goes back a few years): https://unco.academia.edu/StevenSeegel
my Twitter page (I just joined in June): https://twitter.com/steven_seegel

In short, I'm interested to learn from YOU and I look forward to participating in the group.

Cheers,
Steven Seegel

Attachments

Philip

geospatial Online
Staff Member
gO Business
Business Rep
Founding Member
Welcome to gO! I just purchased the book (PDF). I'm really looking forward to finding some time and reading it.

OP

steven_seegel

gO Newbie
Welcome to gO! I just purchased the book (PDF). I'm really looking forward to finding some time and reading it.
Thanks a lot, Philip. Much appreciated! I've also posted more info about the book, including the available 20% discount from UChicago Press, under "Resources." I hope you'll enjoy reading it!

Steven

pokateo

gO Member
Founding Member
Welcome! That looks like a fascinating read! I look forward to your contributions to this forum.

CodeMacabre

gO Member
Founding Member
Welcome Steven. Congratulations on the book release! Thanks for posting your Twitter and Academia links too; plenty of new material to read! :geek:

< Previous | Next >