What's new

Looking for PRJ file suitable for global bathymetry/elevation

Gary Lucas

gO Newbie
I don't have access to a GIS system right now, so I was hoping somebody could help me out.

I am looking for a PRJ file (or just the well-known text content) suitable for a global bathymetry/elevation data set. The data products I'm interested in (ETOPO1 and GEBCO 2019) are derived from from heterogeneous sources, so I don't think it's helpful to be too fussy about datum... I believe that both are mapped to WGS84 by the data providers. Elevation/depth is given in meters about or below mean sea level. Both products use a geographic coordinate system with horizontal coordinates given in degrees referenced to Greenwich.

I need the WKT data to test some software I am writing. I've poked around on the web, but haven't found anything suitable (which surprises me, but it probably just means I'm not looking for the right thing).

Does anyone know where I can find a good example WKT with these spec's or have one they can send me?

Thanks.

Gary

Captain

gO Member
gO Enthusiast
So are you looking for the WKT of ETOPO1 and GEBCO 2019? or WGS84?

I've had to input text to create a feature dataset spatial reference. Using Python, you can print the WKT of any .prj. Essentially:
cb = r'file.gdb\featureclass'
SR = arcpy.Describe(cb).spatialReference
print SR.exporttostring()

If I know the one that you're after, I'll throw the string out here.

Next >