Question Issue with Lat and Long to UTM conversion.

kishoremadhipatla

gO Newbie
Jul 3, 2021
Hello All! hope you are all doing well. I am writing to ask you a question which I am unable to crack. I have a shape file for few 1000s of stations that are spread across the world. These are in Lat and Longs. When I try to convert them to UTMs, 1. I am not sure which UTM zone I need to use for the conversion as these stations are spread across several UTM zones 2. Even if I take UTM coordinates of a particular station and convert the entire file, the station coordinates in other UTM zones are not correct. Is there a way to correctly convert to UTM when we have several 1000s of points across the globe? Thank You!

hschuch

gO Newbie
gO Educator
gO Enthusiast
Founding Member
Jan 4, 2019
Actually, this is easy. UTM zones are numbered 1,2,3,4,... counting from 0 degrees longitude. Each zone is 6 degrees wide (therefore there are 60 zones). Zones are "counted" starting from 0 long, going "eastward" (opposite to the latitude values). So, zone 14 is between long 102 and long 96, and zone 15 is between longs 96 and 90. See https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2001/0077/report.pdf . Latitude does not matter.
Each zone has its own coordinate system and origin.