What's new

Resource I just bought a web mapping book from 2000 and it's pretty good.

CodeMacabre

gO Member
Founding Member
I can't remember exactly how I happened upon it, something to do with reading about 4D 'hypermap' maps, but I discovered this book:

Multidimensional Geographic Information Science by Jonathan Raper

Normally I wouldn't expect much from a book about web tech published almost 20 years ago, especially as the synopsis includes the phrase, "This book represents late 1990s knowledge about 3D and 4D GIS." Apparently it couldn't get much more outdated.

But there's something about this book, the perceptive forward-thinking style, that makes me think it'll be pretty valuable. As I play more with web mapping and experiment with custom databases and unusual interactions, I feel it's time to get into the mindset before the web really existed and to rethink things from the ground up.

Or, it might just end up being an obsolete historical artefact. At least it only cost £0.60!

I'll keep you updated as I progress through it.

Philip

geospatial Online
Staff Member
gO Business
Business Rep
Founding Member
I love historical artifacts, especially when it has to do with cartography (& dinosaurs). One of these days, I'll post a pic of my 1908?? Map of Colorado that is about 34"x44" in size.

OP
CodeMacabre

CodeMacabre

gO Member
Founding Member
Ooo yes please, I'd love to see that!

So far, this book seems to be largely theoretical, discussing the psychology and biology of spatial representation (which is actually the best it could be for something potentially so out-of-date).