What's new

Hello Hello!

IainS

gO Newbie
My name is IainS, chosen because that's my name!

I have a background in archaeology, environmental science and history. I am currently an archaeologist working in the area of historical and industrial archaeology located on the east coast of Australia in the state of New South Wales.

My geospatial career probably began in Boy Scouts where we drew maps using compass and tape. Archaeology is all about space so my career has mostly been geospatially related. I have used all forms of surveying equipment from 1903's era dumpy levels to survey level GPS via such things as plane tables, self reducing tachiometers, theodolites and so on. I was taught GRASS in the 1990s but mostly have used ArcGIS - which I would use almost every day and have a retirement plan to move to use QGIS! MY first GIS instructor Prof Fred Limp said that we would become hoarders of geospatial data - he was right. When the State of NSW accidentally made their spatial data free (as opposed to a fee per Local Government Area) I downloaded the lot over a weekend!

Outside interests are - I am married and have a dog and cat. I follow Australian Rules Football and if I had any spare time would make scale models.

Cheers

Philip

geospatial Online
Staff Member
gO Business
Business Rep
Founding Member
Welcome to geospatial Online, IainS. I believe you are the 2nd archaeologist in the last few hours to register and post in the New Member Introductions.

What kind of dog do you have? I have 2 dogs, a Border Collie and a Queensland Heeler.

Data hoarders: Yep, that's me as well. I know exactly what you mean. At one of my first GIS jobs, I found myself burning CDs of imagery simply because it was available (and free for the public). I don't think I have ever used the imagery, but I probably still have it. Like you, I primarily use ArcGIS (although I am starting to play with QGIS and want to play around with a few other programs, as well).

Thank you for your great introduction. Feel free to post anything that you'd like in any of these forums. There is one forum that you may want to "Watch" and that is the Archaeology and Paleontology forum. Feel free to post anything you'd like for your archaeology and history passions. (I know that I will enjoy them.) Have a great day!

< Previous | Next >

Changes Are Happening Now!

Forums have been reorganized. Threads have been moved. Sorry for the trouble. I am about 90% complete as of 07/15/2019.