What's new
  • Website updates are nearly complete. Many of the forums have been changed and threads have been moved. No threads were deleted. This is an attempt to simplify these forums. Sorry for the trouble.

Hallo Greetings and salutations! Have a spatial day!

pokateo

gO Member
Founding Member
Hi everyone! My name is Kate and I hail from the Great Lakes State, though I'm originally from the Golden State (yes, I do like snow better than sun all the time; no I'm not crazy).

I always thought I was going to be a scientist, but after several jobs in science education (as a park ranger and zoo educator), I found it more rewarding finding ways to connect people with data instead of collecting it. I minored in GIS in undergrad and taught it in grad school and it's been my favorite instance of things not going as planned but working for the better anyway yet. Since then, I've used GIS mainly for environmental/natural resources applications with a bit of public engagement (Story Maps!) mixed in. I'd love to do more artsy cartographic work but I'm in a fairly technical position so that's for the free-time I suppose. I also am totally fascinated with gaming maps. I love that my Google Alert for maps totally pops up with video games fairly frequently. I'd love to learn more about it and if I could use my skills for it -- but I just don't know enough about it.

My username is my name in the word "potato" because it's only my favorite food ever. The sad thing is I'm going keto, which means I don't eat potatoes and as a result, I kinda don't know who I am anymore. But all is good. Other than enjoying all things maptastic, I am a gamer (what else am I supposed to do while my code runs? not play Hearthstone?), a hiker (if you know of any good places in Midwest area, pass it along!), and mother of dragons (by dragons I mean two derpy kitties -- same thing right?). I also try (emphasis) to post daily to #ThisDayinMaps on Twitter with something that happened in history and a cool map that highlights it. Just for funsies. Also when I see cool maps in pop culture, I try and use #popGIS or #gamingmaps and you should too! I'd love to see what you come up with. And it looks like we have another outlet for them on this very site: www.geospatialonline.com/forums/imaginary-maps/ So that's cool!

Thanks to @Philip and whoever else is behind the scenes for starting this! I'm excited to be joining the family. Feel free to reach out to me here or at twitter.com/pokateo_ . Looking forward to chatting!

Philip

geospatial Online
Staff Member
gO Business
Business Rep
Founding Member
Hello, Kate! Thank you for becoming part of this community. Spread the word! We are here and want to be used (no dirty thoughts, now).

I'm typing this right now while at a birthday party with a bunch of 5 year olds. Fun stuff! That's my life. No time for gaming, but I do like bring out the original NES or SNES every now & then. ?

I'll definitely follow you on twitter and look forward to your posts.

KeithRikli

gO Newbie
No more Potatoes? How will you ever survive?!

I agree about gaming maps, they are totally maptastic.

Mithlogie

gO Newbie
Take a hike through Itaska State Park in Minnesota if you get the opportunity, it's gorgeous.

fpparker

gO Member
Founding Member
Hey Kate,

New to this, glad to read your intro. Sounds like you have tons of experience in applications. Have you ever thought about game development? Lots of apps out there trying to copy Pokemon GO! Or maybe you're talking about other maps like how they create terrains etc... I've never fully developed my own game, but I have used other video games and theiri import tools to bring in my own models..

I use a software called Rhino and import my own sample play throughs using Gary's Mod? If you have Steam you've probably heard of it. I've used other sites too in order to demo out modeling and capabilities. I've used Arc Pro to generate cities from Google Maps. Ever heard of open street maps? You could get a full 3D model of New York. You'd be surprised what's out there. I've taken building foot prints from local data and generated entire 3D models. Just export them as CAD and they'll come in as models. 3D symbology is your friend.

Anyways, I'm also a midwesternern, obviously from South Dakota I have to reccommend the Black Hills. Cathedral Spyres are AMAZING.

Best,

Frank

OP
pokateo

pokateo

gO Member
Founding Member
Holy moly those are some great suggestions, @fpparker! It didn't even occur to me I could do all that with building footprints. I'll have to give it a try. Do you have any examples of your work? I'd love to see them. Gary's mod is the best but haven't checked it out since discovering my mapping passion....I'm going to go revisit it now...

Captain

gO Newbie
gO Enthusiast
Lived in Minnesota for 4.5 years when I was a kid. Loved it as a kid. I'd hate it as an adult (shovel the driveway, look back... ug... got to start over). So hat off to you that you like that much snow!
I'll agree with fpparker, Black Hills are awesome! Went there 1 year ago as well as back in 2011. Custer State park, Mammoth site, driving the Needles, and of course Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse... quite relaxing to be in that area.

Next >