What's new
  • Website updates are nearly complete. Many of the forums have been changed and threads have been moved. No threads were deleted. This is an attempt to simplify these forums. Sorry for the trouble.

Advice GIS data sources for London, UK

SeanPB

gO Newbie
Hi, I have been asked to research various GIS data sources for London (UK). I was wondering whether anybody can give me pointers of where to start looking. Ideally I would prefer open source, but paid for is fine if up to date and detailed.

In particular I am currently looking at:-

- Detailed building outline data - would this be Ordinance Survey master map or are there other alternatives?
- Policy Restrictions - data that shows what you are allowed (or not allowed) to do in certain areas. E.g Flood plain, green space etc. This could be available from local authorities; but is this aggregated anywhere?
- Public transport accessibility data - to establish whether someone needs their own car/vehicle or whether there's enough transport options.

Thanks!

Philip

geospatial Online
Staff Member
gO Business
Business Rep
Founding Member
Last edited:
OP

SeanPB

gO Newbie
Great questions. I was about to give you a reply for the buildings, but what was released was for the United States (from Microsoft). Perhaps some searching online can tell you if Microsoft pushed out the buidings for the UK, as well.

Someone else asked about the building footprints before on StackExchange: https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/3507/are-there-any-sources-of-uk-building-footprint-data-available
Many thanks, Philip! I will look into what MS have. So far I have found interesting data sources from Ordnance Survey OpenData which provide shape files outlining buildings in cities. Also a guy called Alasdair Rae http://ajrae.staff.shef.ac.uk/buildings/ has taken this data and further enhanced it. Also the Land Registry Inspire project shows freehold land ownership parcels which could be useful as well especially when overlayed with the building data.

< Previous | Next >