• Welcome to geospatial Online (gO).
    This is a brand new website that contains a plethora of forums because the Geospatial industry is HUGE.
    Please look around, join in, and don't forget to introduce yourself in our "New Member Introductions" forum.

Question GIS data ownership

New to the forum so thanks for having me. Now for my question...

Anyone out there that works for a government entity (or private company could chime in also) that can tell me who possesses admin and overall ownership of your data? We are going through a transition and have recently found that there is a stipulation stating Engineering department should have full control and Information Technology (IT) department is only a support function which of course is causing quite the argument. Can anyone tell me if there is a formal structure for the data control or even just how your organization handles it will help.

Thank you

Philip

geospatial Online
Staff Member
gO Business
Business Rep
Founding Member
I don't know if this will help, but where I work, the Engineering dept owns and maintains the data. IT supports them. I work for Engineering dept, but perform database administration duties with Oracle. The servers and computers are maintained by IT, though.

Edit: Welcome to gO!