• Welcome to geospatial Online (gO).
    This is a brand new website that contains a plethora of forums because the Geospatial industry is HUGE.
    Please look around, join in, and don't forget to introduce yourself in our "New Member Introductions" forum.

Showcase GIS data for Rome fanatic

Hello!

I am currently working with QGIS in a roman Britain topic. While I have found some maps about it, my investigation is at an impasse.

I have looked everywhere, but I cannot find it's northern borders. Specifically, what I need is a shape file of just the Antonine's wall. Would it be possible to ask for that data? Or do I have to make it myself? I don't have a lot of expertise using QGIS so I probably won't be able to do it.

Any help is very welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

JT.

CodeMacabre

gO Member
Founding Member
If you're based in the UK and linked to an institution, you shoud be able to get access to Edina Digimap. That would give you access to a massive amount of vector and raster data, including a lot of historical maps (not as far back as Roman era, alas), mostly from Ordnance Survey, so you could get a shapefile of any modern remnants of the wall.

If you don't have access to Digimap, you could try downloading data from OpenStreetMap.

Anything older than that, you will probably have to import (and georeference) a historical raster map then trace the wall into a vector layer. There are resources around for how to do this:
You might be able to find something useful on OpenHistoricalMap (although it wouldn't load for me this morning 🤨), or you could try contacting the official heritage organisation and ask if they have any GIS data available - they have a detailed interactive map so presumably the data exists somewhere.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck!