Discuss Bluetooth GPS/GNSS Receivers & Apps

acode

gO Newbie
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone who has experience with traditional GPS/GNSS units has made the switch to bluetooth units like those provide by Arrow and Trimble. If so, what has your experience been? Would you recommend making the switch and what apps did you use/like?

PathMaps

gO Newbie
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone who has experience with traditional GPS/GNSS units has made the switch to bluetooth units like those provide by Arrow and Trimble. If so, what has your experience been? Would you recommend making the switch and what apps did you use/like?
I work for a 12k rural town; provides water, electricity, trash, sewer. We switched from a Leica GS09 GNSS to a Trimble R2 bluetooth/iPad, using Trimble TerraFlex. After the initial setup, we've never been happier. I'm the GIS technician and we have a guy on the light crew who uses the GPS. We both agree its leagues better than the Leica. Faster, lighter, easier, and more accurate.

Our only issue has been software due to the way we organize our data in geodatabases. It could be simpler if we would change but there are some hold-outs. The company we dealt with has been quick to provide help when needed.

Johnson5144

gO Newbie
We have been using the Leica Geosystems GG04 plus for quite some time with great success. We mainly utilize it with with an iPad using the Esri Collector for ArcGIS app for high-accuracy GNSS positioning (1-3 cm is typical). I have been in some pretty challenging environments with the GG04 plus and other receivers wouldn't provide the level of accuracy the GG04 plus offers. We also subscribe to their SmartNet correction service as well and able to utilize GPS, Glonass, Galileo and BeiDou in our area. While Galileo and BeiDou are not fully operational yet, they will provide more benefit in the future.

I would strong recommend taking a look at the GG04 plus as it has been a work horse for us.