• Welcome to geospatial Online (gO).
    This is a brand new website that contains a plethora of forums because the Geospatial industry is HUGE.
    Please look around, join in, and don't forget to introduce yourself in our "New Member Introductions" forum.

News Article on estimating lake volume using the Delaunay Triangulation

I've just posted an article that discusses a technique for using the Constrained Delaunay Triangulation to estimate the volume of a lake using sounding data and a digitized shoreline (via a Shapefile). Although the article uses tools from the Tinfour software project, I do think the technique it discusses is general enough that it will be of interest to the GIS community.

You can find the article at https://github.com/gwlucastrig/Tinfour/wiki/Using-the-Delaunay-to-Compute-Lake-Volume-Part-1

Gary

P.S. In the article, I discuss how I used the Delaunay Triangulation to process data sets giving bathymetry information for Lake Victoria in Africa. I am currently looking for other examples of suitable data and would appreciate it if anyone has a lead on where I can find good test data. My technique requires soundings (point-samples) and digitized shoreline information (constraints). It would work on any kind of enclosed body of water. It would also work on other features, such as glaciers, mountains, etc. I've done a few web searches, but haven't had much luck. So if anyone knows of usable resources, I'd be grateful to hear about them.

Thanks.