What's new

News Article about shaded-relief algorithms using USGS 3DEG

Gary Lucas

gO Newbie
Recently, I contributed an enhancement to the open-source Apache Commons Imaging project to enable it to read high-resolution elevation data from the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Cloud-Optimized GeoTIFF files from the 3DEG program.

Anyway, I just posted an article and some example Java code describing how to use the GeoTIFF files to create shaded-relief map imagery. The article includes
a basic algorithm for lighting and color rendering as well as some pictures that show off the quality of the USGS data. It also includes a bit of background on the GeoTIFF standard and links to some code for a B-Spline surface fitting class implemented in Java.

If you are interested in these topics, you can find the article at the webpage: Elevation Data from Cloud Optimized GeoTIFFs

Thanks.

Gary

P.S. One of the most useful resources I found when writing the article was the Shaded Relief webpage. If you are unfamiliar with this resource, it really is a neat bit of work and I encourage you to check it out.

OP

Gary Lucas

gO Newbie
Sorry. That should have been 3DEP, not 3DEG. I would blame autocorrect if I could, but I'm pretty sure it was just me.

Next >