At geospatial Online, we do our best to protect the opinions and freedom of all our members; however, it's also our job to ensure that opinions are expressed with respect toward peers. We strive to be an international community that contributes to the entire geospatial industry, and this means upholding a professional attitude even when others falter. Communication of opinions is a delicate process that requires tactful wording, and some people are better at this than others. Judgement calls will need to be made and users will be unhappily banned.
Some members may present their opinions in a form that may seem offensive and unprofessional. There is a point at which we must draw the line, where feedback turns into attacks and insults. We expect members to present their opinions maturely, without invoking hostility or aggression, and without antagonizing others. We expect negative feedback to be balanced with positive content: users who dedicate their presence in this community to criticizing others are not welcome here. Criticism and debate is certainly permitted--even encouraged, especially within the geospatial industry, but we will not allow members to thrive purely on hatred and disdain. We expect members to respect the feelings and opinions of others, even presenting criticism. Stating that an entity has lost your respect--or failed to earn it in the first place--will not excuse you from this expectation, nor will another member's disrespect toward you. Those who lack the self-discipline necessary to show respect for their opponents and attackers are not welcome here.
We expect members to maintain control over the words they write. It is normal to be angry or frustrated at times. When such emotions are flowing, we expect that our members will be mature enough to walk away from their keyboards, rather than losing their tempers. These forums are exposed to eyes of the Internet: speak as though they are addressing a large crowd. Maintain a calm, cool attitude, and respond to offensive content with pure logic and reason. Members will be held accountable for their content, even if it is posted while under the influence of blinding emotions.
Language: This website was originally created for the English language. We understand that the geospatial industry is a world-wide industry and used in every language environment. However, due to the lack of the staff to speak every language, please maintain English as the language within all forums. There is one exception, though. The country forums, located in the Community Groups and Events are allowed to have native languages spoken. We must ask that you please respect the "geospatial" nature of this website in your discussions and please report anonymously any discussions that are not relevant.
Spam: Do not spam the website. We offer several opportunities to sell your services, but do not post the same message over and over again in an attempt to make a sale. Please follow the rules of each forum, especially in the Classifieds.
Religion: Do not force your religion on anyone in here. We believe that everyone has a right to religion of their own choosing (if they choose to), and do not want a member to feel pressured in regards to one religion or another. Unfortunately, this will require a judgement call as to whether the rules are being broken.
Politics: Every country has their own politics and their own laws. This is a hot issue and we still expect all members to be professional. Not everyone is happy with their leadership. No country is perfect. Everyone has problems. Do not dictate that your country is better than another due to your own opinion. Do not dictate why your political party is better. Discuss differences, but be respectful as well. Please use the appropriate Politics forum to discuss politics. That is the appropriate location to discuss politics.
We will be strictly enforcing these expectations, and they should be considered as significant as any other rules. We will be offering very little tolerance for violations. Also, please understand that most of the reported issues will be judgement calls by our staff. We, like you, are human (not a bot here). We will make mistakes. Except the GeoSloth. He's not human.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP?
• Report the post. Even if we don't remove the content, this helps us keep a record of antagonizing content. We will not immediately ban the user, but after we deem necessary, they will get a warning. After enough warnings, the user will be banned.
• If it is a severe post of a threatening manor or hugely offensive, then please report the post AND send a message to a staff member. We will try to deal with the matter ASAP.
• Respond with a post of your own. This starts a cycle of personal attacks, often mixed in with legitimate criticisms. It makes it difficult for us to weed out the destructive content and you may both end up banned.
These criteria are guidelines for moderators. Assessment is subjective, and discussion between staff members is encouraged. Users could be assessed based on criteria not listed here. We've published the criteria so that members will have a better idea of the factors we consider.
Content has been notably:
• accusatory: repeatedly makes negative claims regarding the integrity of other entities
• defensive: objects harshly to any criticism or counter-arguments; often accuses others of being hypocritical
• destructive: lacking helpful information, such as a list of improvements that can be made
• antagonizing: tends to initiate cycle of hostility
• controversial: other members have objected to the presentation of content, rather than the views it expresses
• offensive: worded so as to offend another entity where a less offensive approach could be taken
• disrespectful: presented in a manner that lacks regard for the feelings and efforts of others; unnecessarily blunt
• unprofessional: ignores standard rules of etiquette when communicating publicly
• reported: repeatedly reported by other members
• unforgiving: accusations often reference past incidents that have been largely forgotten or forgiven by the community
• stubborn: establishes opinion as fact and regards differing views as offensive
• aggressive: tends to increase the level of hostility in a debate
• retaliative: continues cycles of attacks
• usefulness: does not contribute to discussion in a positive way
• understanding: disregards the differing views of others
• tact: apparent lack of effort to word opinions respectfully
• self-control: user loses temper easily or fails to remain calm when attacked
ADDITIONAL TERMS AND LEGAL JARGON
The providers ("we", "us", "our") of the service provided by this web site ("Service") are not responsible for any user-generated content and accounts. Content submitted express the views of their author only.
This Service is only available to users who are at least 13 years old. If you are younger than this, please do not register for this Service. If you register for this Service, you represent that you are this age or older.
All content you submit, upload, or otherwise make available to the Service ("Content") may be reviewed by staff members. All Content you submit or upload may be sent to third-party verification services (including, but not limited to, spam prevention services). Do not submit any Content that you consider to be private or confidential.
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws. You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content or your conduct.
We may remove or modify any Content submitted at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We may terminate your access to all or any part of the Service at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice.
You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.
These terms may be changed at any time without notice.
If you do not agree with these terms, please do not register or use the Service. Use of the Service constitutes acceptance of these terms. If you wish to close your account, please contact us.